Senior Accountant: Job Description
The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation ("Foundation") is a not-for-profit, grantmaking organization that seeks to strengthen, promote, and, where necessary, defend the contributions of the humanities and the arts to human flourishing and to the well-being of diverse and democratic societies. It makes grants in five core program areas (higher education and scholarship in the humanities; arts and cultural heritage; diversity; scholarly communications; and international higher education and strategic projects). The Foundation seeks a Senior Accountant in the accounting department.
The Senior Accountant will be responsible for performing a variety of accounting, reporting, analysis, and compliance activities associated with the Foundation's administrative expenses and will be an integral member of the Finance Department. The Senior Accountant will report directly to the Foundation's Director of Accounting.
The Senior Accountant's responsibilities include, but will not be limited to the following:
- Accounting, reporting, analysis, and compliance related to the Foundation’s consultants and program advisors including processing payments, monitoring contracts, communicating status of active contracts with Finance and HR on a monthly basis, issuing 1099's, and preparing quarterly analytical reviews and annual budget inputs
- Assisting with administration of the Foundation's travel and reimbursable expense program including reviewing expense reports to ensure compliance with Foundation's Travel, Meals, and Purchasing policy, liaising with the travel management vendor, preparing quarterly analytical reviews and annual budget inputs, and assisting with administration of Concur
- Tracking throughout the year and preparing quarterly reports and analytical reviews of various other administrative expenses including convenings and special initiatives
- All aspects of fixed asset accounting including maintaining depreciation roll forward schedules, entering quarterly journal entries, and preparing year-end audit and tax schedules
- Preparing various schedules in preparation for the year-end audit and tax return
- Reviewing annual Service Organization Control reports for major vendors
- Special projects as needed by the Director of Accounting and CFO
- Serving as a backup for the payroll, benefits, and grants accounting functions
- Bachelor's degree in accounting
- Minimum 4–5 years of experience in public accounting
- CPA or CPA candidate preferred
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Excel required
- Knowledge of Great Plains and Concur preferred
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Organized and detail-oriented
- Strong communication, mathematical, and analytical skills
- Maturity and integrity required to work with sensitive/confidential information
The Foundation is an equal opportunity employer that offers a competitive salary and excellent working conditions.
Candidates should apply by submitting a thoughtful cover letter describing fit for the position together with a resume to: Senior Accountant. The Foundation will consider each response carefully, but only contact those individuals it believes are most qualified for the position.