Investment Analyst: Job Description
The Mellon Foundation ("Foundation") believes that the arts and humanities are where we express our complex humanity, and we believe that everyone deserves the beauty, transcendence, and freedom to be found there. Through our grants, we seek to build just communities enriched by meaning and empowered by critical thinking, where ideas and imagination can thrive. It makes grants in four core program areas (Higher Learning, Arts and Culture, Public Knowledge, and Humanities in Place). The Foundation seeks an Investment Analyst in the Investment department.
The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation is seeking an Investment Analyst (with a quantitative focus) who will be part of the thirteen-person Investment Team. The Investment Team is responsible for managing the Foundation's endowment which comprises approximately $9 billion in assets across public and private investments. The Investment Analyst will report to a Senior Portfolio Manager, assist in further developing internal quantitative capabilities and will have exposure to a broad range of asset classes, including public and private equity, hedge funds, real assets, and/or fixed income.
Responsibilities may include, but will not be limited to the following:
- Working with a Senior Portfolio Manager in implementing internal portfolio analytics systems, leveraging data and quantitative tools to support investment decision making
- Investment manager sourcing, screening, research, analysis and ongoing due diligence, particularly in alternative asset classes such as hedge funds and private equity. This includes conducting rigorous quantitative/risk analysis, reviewing manager reports and letters, meeting with managers, attending annual meetings and preparing data-driven investment recommendations
- Manager and portfolio-level reporting on performance, exposures, liquidity, and cash flows
- Researching, preparing, and writing investment memos which explore market trends, analyze the Foundation's portfolio, and formulate a view on the risks and opportunities related to specific investments
- Traveling for onsite visits to managers and underlying investments for due diligence purposes
- Networking with institutional peers and managers to stay informed about investment trends and discover compelling investment opportunities
- Assisting with ad hoc special projects across the portfolio, especially those that require more in-depth quantitative analysis
The successful candidate will have the following qualifications:
- A strong academic background with a master's degree in a quantitative field
- Good database knowledge (SQL)
- Proficiency in R (preferred) or Python
- Strong command of statistics and financial mathematics
- Passion for investing, natural curiosity, and desire to understand the financial markets
- One to three years of experience in an investment / quantitative analyst role preferred
- Outstanding analytical and communication skills
- Self-starter with the ability to take initiative and see projects to completion while collaborating across a team
- Commitment to the Foundation’s mission and high level of professionalism
The Foundation is an equal opportunity employer that offers a competitive salary, outstanding benefits, and excellent working conditions.
Qualified candidates should apply by submitting a resume and thoughtful cover letter to: Investment Analyst. We will consider each response carefully, but interview only those individuals we feel are most qualified for the position.