Integrated Content Director: Job Description
The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation ("Foundation") believes that the arts and humanities are where we express our complex humanity, and we believe that everyone deserves the beauty, transcendence, and freedom to be found there. Through our grants, we seek to build just communities enriched by meaning and empowered by critical thinking, where ideas and imagination can thrive. It makes grants in four core program areas (Higher Learning, Arts and Culture, Public Knowledge, and Humanities in Place). The Foundation seeks an Integrated Content Director in the Communications department.
Description and Scope
The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation's team of communications professionals are responsible for building and stewarding the Foundation brand and to tell its story, driving outreach and engagement efforts both internally and externally. Our work strives to:
- Build broad brand affinity and connection with The Mellon Foundation's work
- Encourage appreciation, understanding of, and engagement with the work of our grantees
- Broadly advocate for the centrality of the arts and humanities in culture
Reporting to the Chief Communications Officer, the Integrated Content Director will be part of a growing team of communications professionals at The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, tasked with raising the visibility of the Foundation's mission, grantees, and story.
The Integrated Content Director develops and implements strategies to create, surface and leverage high-impact stories that enhance public understanding of Mellon's work and interests, increase engagement with the arts, culture and humanities sectors, and build affinity for Mellon as an organization. Working across the Foundation, and leading a team, the successful candidate will translate organizational priorities into storytelling strategies that extend the reach of Mellon's brand and further its core mission of advancing social justice through the arts and the humanities. This role will lead the development and integration of content across platforms and functions to ensure storytelling coordination and maximum impact for Mellon's work, grantees, and mission.
Duties and Responsibilities
20% Marketing strategy: Works across the Mellon Foundation, to identify and develop strategic marketing approaches for the organization. Translates organizational demands and strategies into a vision of storytelling that supports Mellon's brand platform with resonant, accessible messages. Works cross-functionally across the organization to ensure alignment.
30% Campaign strategy and planning: Create the strategies and manage the execution of brand storytelling, including the conception, creation, adaptation, optimization, distribution and marketing of content for identified audiences and goals, including events. Establish priorities, strengthen key thematics, and create timelines to support the Foundation's work, while increasing brand affinity, building audiences and advancing interest in the sectors which Mellon supports.
30% Content execution and distribution: Work with in-house and freelance creative and writing teams to create content for owned flagship properties, including website and social media channels. Develop and maintain editorial calendar. Ensure content is on-message, on-brand, engaging and appropriate for each platform. Responsible for strategy for paid distribution, and value-for-value distribution partnerships, working with outside agencies as needed. Work within Mellon and with grantees, partners, and peer organizations to build the most visible
15% Leadership, project management and supervision: Supervise and provide direction to social media manager, senior producer and content strategist, and institutional communications manager. Select and supervise freelancers and other external vendors. Develop strong relationships across Mellon, its peer organizations, and grantees. Provide guidance to direct reports and other team members to achieve goals. Stay current on latest trends and functionality for content development, storytelling, marketing. Manage content and advertising budgets.
5% Analysis and measurement: Work with team to develop meaningful analytics, including the processes and tools to deliver metrics. Track content performance across paid, owned, shared channels. Determine benchmarks and adjust tactics when necessary. Optimize budget and assess return and efficiency in spend. Report on results to leadership.
Required Skills and Experience
The successful candidates will have the following qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree required; advanced degree a plus.
- At least ten years of experience in strategic communications, editorial, cross-platform content development, journalism, or related field, and a demonstrated history of working in a high-visibility, mission-driven environment with constant deadlines. Management experience strongly preferred.
- Exceptional content strategist: Understands how content strategy intersects with broader communications goals; has demonstrated experience developing content strategy and executing the strategy with success and positive results.
- Deep knowledge of current social landscape and best practices in storytelling for brand-building: Extensive knowledge of the concepts, trends and presentation of strategic content. Digital experience and understanding contemporary use of social media channels is essential.
- Exceptional oral and written communications skills, including very strong editing skills. Experience and proven ability to serve effectively as a content director and work with writers, designers, producers, and more.
- Experience in crafting effective, comprehensive, and creative content plans for projects, events and campaigns with metrics and reporting capabilities. Ability to coordinate well with others in carrying out those plans.
- Experience promoting activities and events for both media coverage and audience-building to support top organizational leadership.
- Sound judgment: Ability to provide well-reasoned, highly informed and strategic counsel to the department and senior leaders.
- Ability to quickly cultivate strong relationships not only within an organization, but also with external clients and stakeholders, including reporters.
- Reliable, trustworthy and operates consistently with the utmost integrity. Can foster commitment, trust and teamwork within the department and division.
The Foundation is an equal opportunity employer that offers a competitive salary, outstanding benefits, and excellent working conditions. Chaloner will be running this recruitment. Candidates should apply at www.chaloner.com by submitting a thoughtful cover letter describing fit for the position together with a resume. The Foundation will consider each response carefully, but only contact those individuals it believes are most qualified for the position.