Grant Information Systems Analyst: Job Description
The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation ("Foundation") is a not-for-profit, grantmaking organization that seeks to strengthen, promote, and, where necessary, defend the contributions of the humanities and the arts to human flourishing and to the well-being of diverse and democratic societies. It makes grants in five core program areas (higher education and scholarship in the humanities; arts and cultural heritage; diversity; scholarly communications; and international higher education and strategic projects). The Foundation seeks applications from an experienced Grants System Analyst to assist the data management team to maintain and improve upon the Foundation's grant information system (Fluxx) and related tools and processes.
The Grant Information Systems Analyst will provide support to staff working with the Foundation's grant management tools, and assist with efforts to streamline operations, optimize existing systems and develop new approaches to managing grants data and workflows. The role is responsible for collecting and analyzing requirements for system enhancements and working with available resources to plan, test, and deploy updates to existing functionality. Duties also include supporting and training staff across the Foundation in the use of Fluxx, maintaining electronic and hardcopy grant files, managing relationships with external software vendors, maintaining data quality, and producing reports and analyses of Foundation grantmaking activities.
The position is situated in the data management team, in the Office of Vice President, General Counsel and Secretary, and reports to the Director of Data Management.
Responsibilities include the following:
- Assist with maintaining and enhancing the Foundation's grant management systems, primarily Fluxx
- Undertake ongoing maintenance and configuration tasks in Fluxx
- Consult with Foundation staff to elicit and document requirements for grant management system enhancements
- In consultation with program and grant management staff, design, develop and configure appropriate models and workflows for capturing and disseminating grants data (e.g., through Fluxx forms, Word document templates, Excel files and/or other report-writing software)
- Undertake analysis of grants data, produce reports and develop dashboards for presentation of grant information
- Identify areas for improvement and make appropriate recommendations for streamlining workflows and processes
- Be the first point of contact for staff using Fluxx and related systems
- Assist grantees using the grantee portal, when requested
- Support Foundation staff in their use of grant-related information systems, including design and maintenance of training materials, and provide group or individual training as required
- Undertake and coordinate testing of system upgrades and enhancements
- Liaise with software vendors to resolve issues as required
- Maintain best practice in record-keeping policies and procedures
The successful candidates will have the following qualifications:
- A minimum of four years' experience working with information workflow systems or databases
- A bachelor's degree; a degree in information science or technology would be advantageous
- Experience in a nonprofit environment
- Experience training staff on use of grants system, including the ability to develop useful learning tools and training materials
- Experience in continuous improvement methodologies and process analysis
- Familiarity with project management approaches, tools, and phases of an IT project lifecycle
- Advanced MS Word and Excel skills, and a working knowledge of SQL and database management
- Ability to work productively with individuals across the organization
- Exemplary writing, interpersonal and communication skills, including the ability to effectively collaborative with and influence others
- Ability to manage a variety of projects and activities simultaneously
- Excellent attention to detail, with strong critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Strong understanding of organizational issues and challenges
The Foundation is an equal opportunity employer that offers a competitive salary, outstanding benefits, and excellent working conditions.
Candidates should apply by submitting a thoughtful cover letter describing fit for the position together with a resume to: Grant Information Systems Analyst. The Foundation will consider each response carefully, but only contact those individuals it believes are most qualified for the position.