Full Stack Software Engineer: Job Description
The Mellon Foundation ("Foundation") believes that the arts and humanities are where we express our complex humanity, and we believe that everyone deserves the beauty, transcendence, and freedom to be found there. Through our grants, we seek to build just communities enriched by meaning and empowered by critical thinking, where ideas and imagination can thrive. It makes grants in four core program areas (Higher Learning, Arts and Culture, Public Knowledge, and Humanities in Place). The Foundation seeks a Full Stack Software Engineer.
The Mellon IT team is looking for a Full Stack Software Engineer with well-rounded experience with application development and system integrations to support various internal projects. The Software Engineer will report to IT Solutions Architect.
The engineer will work on multiple projects with various frontend and backend technology stacks and collaborate with internal and external teams.
Responsibilities may include, but will not be limited to:
- Work with internal Mellon departments to understand their technical needs, gather & document the requirements for the development projects
- Work with internal communication team and application vendor on Mellon.org web application
- Work with business application owners and SaaS application vendors to implement and configure the business applications based on the business requirements
- Build rapid POCs to demonstrate the project ideas and gain approvals
- Create and maintain software documentation
- Write well-designed, testable, efficient code by using the best software development practices
- Work with various vendors & contractors on ongoing development projects
- Maintain and support legacy web applications
- Work with IT Solutions Architect to design and build shared business services & business automation processes
- Bachelor's degree required in computer science or related field
- Solid understanding of Software Development Life Cycle, Development best practices, Web Application frameworks, and frontend and backend development
- Experience in Full Stack Development utilizing modern frontend and backend technologies
- 5+ Years of hand on software development experience using various programming languages (Java, Kotlin, .Net)
- Experience with public cloud providers such as AWS & Azure
- Experience with API integrations and developing API services
- Experience working with GraphQL APIs & tools
- Experience working GitHub code repository
- Experience working with headless CMS platforms
- Understanding of both SQL & NoSQL database technologies
- Excellent troubleshooting and debugging skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Solid Understanding of Software testing & QA processes
- Strong understanding of security best practices and implementing secure products
- Strong understanding of DevOps and Application deployment processes
Mellon Foundation is committed to providing compensation that is competitive and equitable within the philanthropic sector. The estimated salary range for this role is $130,000–$145,000. The amount of pay offered will be determined by a number of factors, including but not limited to qualifications, unique skills, credentials or experience that is expected to impact the candidate’s contribution to the role. We will also consider market data as well as the Foundation's internal pay equity framework. Mellon offers a generous total reward package that provides base salary as well as a comprehensive benefits program.
Candidates should apply by submitting a thoughtful cover letter describing fit for the position together with a resume and writing samples here.
The Foundation will consider each response carefully, but only contact those individuals it believes are most qualified for the position.