Executive Assistant to the Vice President, General Counsel & Secretary: Job Description
The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation ("Foundation") is a not-for-profit, grantmaking organization that seeks to strengthen, promote, and, where necessary, defend the contributions of the humanities and the arts to human flourishing and to the well-being of diverse and democratic societies. It makes grants in five core program areas (higher education and scholarship in the humanities; arts and cultural heritage; diversity; scholarly communications; and international higher education and strategic projects). The Foundation seeks an Executive Assistant to the Vice President, General Counsel & Secretary.
We are seeking a thoughtful, conscientious, experienced, and congenial executive assistant with well-honed communication competencies (verbal and written), organizational skills, and excellent judgment. The work is detail oriented and time sensitive, and the executive assistant will need to be adaptable, timely, and measured in manner, sensitive both to the priorities established by the Vice President, General Counsel & Secretary and to the circumstances of the moment.
The Executive Assistant is a full-time position that reports to the Vice President, General Counsel & Secretary and works collaboratively with the Office of the Vice President and General Counsel's team of lawyers, grant management associates, and data management staff, as well as staff throughout the foundation. Among the responsibilities, the Executive Assistant:
- Schedules and organizes numerous meetings, travel, and outside activities involving multiple participants in a fast-paced environment.
- Maintains the Vice President, General Counsel and Secretary's calendar and interacts with the Board and staff throughout the foundation in the day-to-day work of the office.
- Stays abreast of work deadlines and schedules and is proactive in meeting them.
- Organizes, answers, and directs large volumes of information and calls.
- Opens mail, drafts responses, and replies by phone or email, as needed.
- Coordinates, tracks, and manages projects for the Vice President, General Counsel & Secretary.
- Works both independently and as part of a team on projects; handles matters expeditiously, proactively, and with follow-through to successful completion.
- Assists in the preparation of correspondence, memoranda, charts, tables, and other documents.
- Assists in the preparation and assembly of Board and committee materials.
- Types, formats, and proofreads copy for spelling, grammar, layout, and typographical errors.
- Establishes, maintains, and updates the office filing system, and files regularly.
- Organizes and locates documents stored electronically and in paper files on a continual basis.
- Prepares expense reports and manages and tracks expenses through the reimbursement process.
Required Skills and Experience
The successful candidates will have the following qualifications:
- Excellent knowledge of secretarial and office administration procedures and the operation of standard office equipment.
- Superior proficiency in a variety of computer software applications (Outlook, Microsoft Word, Excel, SharePoint).
- A high level of communicative and interpersonal skills, and the ability to handle discreetly sensitive and confidential matters. Position continually requires demonstrated poise, tact, sound judgment, and diplomacy.
- Relentless attention to detail in composing, typing, and proofing materials, and establishing priorities and meeting deadlines with grace.
- The ability to manage multiple projects and interruptions with ease and good humor.
- A strong and proven work ethic, high energy, and outstanding organizational skills.
- Analytic ability to gather and summarize data.
- A bachelor's degree and 6+ years of executive experience is preferred.
- An interest in the humanities and the arts is desirable.
The Foundation is an equal opportunity employer that offers a competitive salary, outstanding benefits, and excellent working conditions.
Candidates should apply by submitting a thoughtful cover letter describing fit for the position together with a resume at: https://workforcenow.adp.com/jobs/apply/posting.html?client=theandreww&jobId=45344&lang=en_US&source=CC2. We will consider each response carefully, but only contact those individuals we feel are most qualified for the position.