Director of Operations: Job Description
The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation ("Foundation") is a not-for-profit, grant making organization that believes that the arts and humanities are where we express our complex humanity, and that everyone deserves the beauty, transcendence, and freedom to be found there. Through its grants, the Foundation seeks to build just communities enriched by meaning and empowered by critical thinking, where ideas and imagination can thrive. The Foundation makes grants in four core program areas: Higher Learning, Public Knowledge, Arts and Culture, and Humanities in Place.
The Director of Operations serves as a trusted advisor and resource to the Chief Operating Officer (COO), and is the integration and communication point for operational aspects of the Foundation on behalf of the COO. The Director of Operations will act as a key resource in directing attention and resources to priority matters and ensuring effective leverage of the COO.
The Director of Operations is a strategic partner to the COO and works across all areas of the Foundation to enhance operations and to align departments' goals.
Key relationships include: CFO, Director of HR, Director of Information Technology, Director of Facilities, Manager of Data Management, Deputy GC, President's office.
The primary responsibilities may include, but will not be limited to:
- Strategic leadership of major initiatives and projects under the guidance of the COO. Develops with the COO a strategy for infrastructure functions—including but not limited to grants management, document management, security, finance, IT, facilities—and takes charge of bringing that strategy to fruition.
- Managing priorities for the COO and her team to ensure time and resources are effectively deployed.
- Leading and participating in operational collaborations across Foundation departments to examine and enhance grantmaking, budgeting, contracting processes, workflows, infrastructure, and technological support systems through timely implementation.
- Oversight of projects related to capital expenditures and improvements.
- Solving business problems through effective solicitation of relevant expertise within and outside the Foundation (Program, Grants Management/Accounting, Legal, HR, Finance, Communications, Facilities, Meeting/event planning).
- Attending meetings pertinent to the COO's priorities and work streams, representing the COO as required, and communicating decisions and directing action to appropriate staff.
Qualifications for the position include:
- Approximately 10–15 years total work experience; a minimum 5 years of experience as a business/administrative/project manager.
- Advanced degree (MBA, JD) strongly preferred.
- Significant strength in IT strategy and needs assessment coupled with expertise, and experience with various IT concepts/workflows and implementation of large-scale enterprise solutions.
- Proven overall business planning acumen.
- A track record of leading with influence in areas outside his/her expertise, and experience guiding organizational change management, and expanding organizational capacity.
- Exceptional leadership presence—internally and externally.
- Superior influencing, negotiating, and facilitation skills.
- Self-starter, hard worker, proactive, strong oral and written communication skills, excellent analytical and organizational abilities, attention to detail.
- Knowledge of and curiosity about best practices and future trends.
- A track record of collaboration and completion of enterprise-wide infrastructure implementations, such as Salesforce.
- Demonstrated ability to be a positive, productive member of a community of people at work, respecting differences while working toward shared goals, comfort with periods of ambiguity, constructive participation in ongoing organizational development, friendly and collegial at all times.
- Prior foundation experience is not required.
The Foundation is an equal opportunity employer that offers a competitive salary, outstanding benefits, and excellent working conditions.
Kindly reply with resume to Machlowitz Consultants, Inc.: email@example.com.