Database Analyst: Job Description
The Mellon Foundation (“Foundation”) a not-for-profit, grant making organization that believes that the arts and humanities are where we express our complex humanity, and that everyone deserves the beauty, transcendence, and freedom to be found there. Through its grants, the Foundation seeks to build just communities enriched by meaning and empowered by critical thinking, where ideas and imagination can thrive. The Foundation makes grants in four core program areas: Higher Learning, Public Knowledge, Arts and Culture, and Humanities in Place. The Foundation seeks a database analyst.
The Grants and Data Management team seeks to fill a database analyst position to support grantmaking and grant management functions at the Foundation. Reporting to the Senior Manager, Grant Administration and Information, the Database Analyst is responsible for grants information and processing tasks within the Fluxx system. The Database Analyst will assist the grantees and staff from across the Foundation with queries about Fluxx, and assist with staff trainings. The work is detail-oriented and requires excellent communications and problem-solving skills, positivity, patience, and a deep understanding of both the grants management system and grantmaking procedures.
Responsibilities may include, but will not be limited to the following:
1) Grant processing and administration
a. Grant processing:
- Conducts charity checks during the grant proposal process
- Processes grant approvals, modifications, and other updates
b. Grant information:
- Assists with data quality and assurance, reviewing grant information for completeness and accuracy
- Assists with data clean-up projects
- Assists with development of reports and troubleshooting data issues
c. Front-end system administration of Fluxx
- Monitors the staff help-desk inbox, responds to users in a timely and professional manner, and ensures that they have adequate support and tools to work within Fluxx
- Participates in and contributes to the successful outcome of system releases, through system testing, and gaining a solid understanding of enhancements to provide support to external and internal users
- Monitors organization and contact updates in the system, assisting with updates as requested by grantees/staff
- Helps monitor and send Fluxx email alerts
2) Trainings and support
a. Contributes to Data Management’s Fluxx training materials and system documentation
b. Management of the staff and grantee help desks (email and phone lines)
c. Attends and contributes to Foundation meetings and cross-Foundational projects, as needed
Applicants should possess:
- At least three years of experience, including at least two years of systems and database management experience and/or customer service or help-desk experience; a bachelor’s degree desirable but not required for the right candidate
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Data entry experience and the ability to quickly acquire proficiency in Foundation software (e.g., Fluxx database)
- An orientation toward self-starting, proactive anticipation of team needs, and creative problem solving
- Willingness to learn from mistakes
- Superior organizational skills with precise attention to detail
- Flexibility, adaptability, curiosity, integrity
- A high degree of competency in the MS Office suite, particularly Excel, PowerPoint, and Word, and the ability to learn new applications quickly
Mellon Foundation is committed to providing compensation that is competitive and equitable within the philanthropic sector. The estimated salary range for this role is $70,000–$80,000. The amount of pay offered will be determined by a number of factors, including but not limited to qualifications, unique skills, credentials or experience that is expected to impact the candidate’s contribution to the role. We will also consider market data as well as the Foundation’s internal pay equity framework. Mellon offers a generous total reward package that provides base salary as well as a comprehensive benefits program.
Please note that Mellon maintains a hybrid work schedule, with three days/week in person at the Foundation’s Manhattan offices.
Candidates should apply by submitting a thoughtful cover letter describing fit for the position together with a resume and cover letter here.
The Foundation will consider each response carefully, but only contact those individuals it believes are most qualified for the position.