Data Analyst: Job Description
The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation ("Foundation") is a not-for-profit, grantmaking organization that seeks to strengthen, promote, and, where necessary, defend the contributions of the humanities and the arts to human flourishing and to the well-being of diverse and democratic societies. It makes grants in five core program areas (higher education and scholarship in the humanities; arts and cultural heritage; diversity; scholarly communications; and international higher education and strategic projects). The Foundation seeks a Data Analyst to join the Office of Institutional Research. This is a new position reporting to the Director of Institutional Research.
The mission of the Office of Institutional Research is to inform and support decision making, planning, and evaluation processes of the Foundation as a means to enhance its strategic objectives—effective grantmaking in the humanities, the arts, higher education, and diversity.
The Data Analyst will work in partnership with the Director of Institutional Research to fulfill the office mission. The Data Analyst will also work in close collaboration with program and administrative staff to support the broader program objectives of the Foundation.
Under the general direction of the Director, the Data Analyst will engage in data analysis and reporting, data visualization, research and evaluation, and development of appropriate qualitative and quantitative methodologies.
The responsibilities of the Data Analyst include:
- Extract, analyze, and interpret large data files and secondary data sources to answer analytical questions
- Prepare written reports, PowerPoint presentations, infographics, and other data visualization materials
- Verify and ensure accuracy, integrity, and consistency of data used by the Office
- Create on-line surveys and assist in analyzing data from survey research projects
- Participate in evaluation of programmatic and foundation-wide impact
- Provide data analysis and visualization consultation and coaching to Foundation staff
- Participate in development of research methods and conduct statistical analyses and interpretation to address requests for information from senior leaders and program areas
- Understand the implications of data, including identifying trends, outliers and results that seem amiss; craft meaningful and actionable information from rigorous analysis of complex data
- Keep abreast of best practices in the use of technology in research and evaluation
- Respond to ad-hoc requests for information and analysis
- Participate in relevant professional organizations for professional development
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned by the Director
Required Skills and Experience
The successful candidates will possess the following qualifications:
- A master's degree in data science, social science research, statistics, evaluation and assessment, or a related field
- 3+ years of professional experience in a complex research environment; professional experience in a higher education institution or a foundation is highly desirable
- Ability to work with multiple data systems and large, relational databases; experience with SQL and Crystal Reports or equivalent tools
- Familiarity with Fluxx, grants data management system
- Expertise in the use of MS Office products; knowledge of statistical analysis using SAS, STATA, or R; in-depth understanding of statistical modeling; and familiarity with on-line survey design
- Knowledge of data visualization tools; experience developing metrics and dashboards; demonstrated familiarity with Big Data and predictive analytics
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong planning and time management skills; demonstrated ability to multi-task with careful attention to detail
- Highly ethical and committed to the values of the Foundation and maintenance of confidentiality
- Intellectual curiosity and willingness to learn new tools and technology in data management and analysis
- Simultaneous ability to work as a member of a team and to work independently
- Familiarity with external data sources including IPEDS, CDS, National Student Clearinghouse, Humanities Indicators, etc.
The Foundation is an equal opportunity employer that offers a competitive salary, outstanding benefits, and excellent working conditions.
Candidates should apply by submitting a thoughtful cover letter indicating their fit for the position, together with a resume at: https://workforcenow.adp.com/jobs/apply/posting.html?client=theandreww&jobId=58036&lang=en_US&source=CC3. We will consider each response carefully, but contact only those individuals we feel are most qualified for the position.