Administrative Assistant: Job Description
The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation ("Foundation") is a not-for-profit, grantmaking organization that seeks to strengthen, promote, and, where necessary, defend the contributions of the humanities and the arts to human flourishing and to the well-being of diverse and democratic societies. It makes grants in five core program areas (higher education and scholarship in the humanities; arts and cultural heritage; diversity; scholarly communications; and international higher education and strategic projects). The Foundation seeks an Administrative Assistant to provide administrative and logistical support, for an approximate two year assignment, in the Accounting and Investment departments.
The Administrative Assistant will have an integral role in the work of the Accounting and Investment departments, reporting to the Chief Financial Officer ("CFO") and taking assignments from others as designated. The person appointed to this position will have multiple responsibilities including, but not limited to the following functions:
- Providing core administrative support to the Accounting and Investment departments
- Scheduling and confirming meetings with other Foundation staff as well as with third parties, including organization of conference facilities, catering, and logistics
- Assisting the CFO in administering the Foundation's matching gift program which entails preparation of correspondence, mailing letters and checks and maintaining back up documentation
- Word processing, proofreading, and management of simple spreadsheets
- Filing of various internal documentation as well as reports provided to the Foundation by third parties, primarily investment managers
- Set up electronic payments on the Foundation's banking platform
- Manage the archiving and retrieval process of paper documents
- Sort and distribute mail to the Accounting and Investment department staff
- Prepare packages for overnight (Fed Ex) delivery; arrange for messenger service
- Provide breaks and act as a backup for the Foundation's receptionist
Required Skills and Experience
The successful candidate will have the following qualifications:
- A bachelor's degree or experience-based equivalent and prior administrative or secretarial experience with advanced skills in Microsoft Word and proven facility with Excel
- Ability to serve as a detail-oriented, self-motivated team player
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to interact in an efficient, courteous and diplomatic manner with a wide variety of internal and external professionals
- Strong organizational skills coupled with the ability to juggle multiple tasks, to anticipate and meet deadlines, and to respond to unanticipated problems
- Energy, initiative, stamina, follow-through, and commitment to collegiality
The Foundation is an equal opportunity employer that offers a competitive salary, outstanding benefits, and excellent working conditions.
Qualified candidates should submit a resume, cover letter and salary requirements to: https://workforcenow.adp.com/jobs/apply/posting.html?client=theandreww&jobId=80908&lang=en_US&source=CC3. We will consider each response carefully, but only contact those individuals we feel are most qualified for the position.